Luxury Car Rental Chicago and Buckingham Fountain
The city of Chicago is home to some exciting cultural and historical landmarks. It's also home to some of the world's most impressive. The Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park is one such attraction, providing visitors with a beautiful atmosphere of outdoor enjoyment. Funded by philanthropist Kate Buckingham in memory of her brother, the Buckingham Fountain is the nation's finest fountain and one of Chicago's largest public icons. Located in the city's grand "front yard", the Buckingham Fountain is constantly alive with activity, attracting hundreds of luxury car rentals, Chicago tourists and local business people. The Buckingham Fountain is currently Chicago's best example of the Beaux-Arts style as well as one of the most distinguished examples of public landscaping. Distinguished not only for its beauty and finely wrought bronze sculpting, but also for its innovative use of technology, the Buckingham Fountain is one of the top luxury car rentals Chicago tourist attractions.
A Sight Worth Seeing Time and Time Again
The Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park was designed by architect Edward H. Bennett and Jacques Lambert. It features a dynamic light and water display as well as some of the most intricately crafted sculpting in all of Chicago. While the fountain was built as a memorial to Kate Buckingham's brother, it also doubles as a representation of the Lake Michigan Area. If you look closely during your visit to the fountain you will find four individual seahorses. Crafted by Marcel Loyau, these marine masterpieces symbolize the four states that border the lake: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. Architect Edward H. Bennett attributed his design specifically to that of the Latona Basin fountain in Louis XIV's gardens at Versailles. Keeping this massive work of public art in operation takes plenty of time, effort and or course, money. Thankfully, Ms. Buckingham had the foresight to establish a $300,000 fountain trust fund, ensuring that local luxury car rental Chicago visitors and tax payers would never have to cover repair and upkeep costs.
Fountain Facts and Figures
- The Buckingham Fountain runs daily from 8am to 11pm.
- The Buckingham Fountain begins operating in mid April and continues to flow until mid October, depending on the weather.
- The Buckingham Fountain currently displays one of the largest displays of shooting water. Every hour, on the hour, luxury car rental Chicago customers can watch as the fountain produces a huge stream of water that shoots more than 150 feet into the air.
- Luxury car rental Chicago customers are encouraged to visit the Buckingham Fountain once dusk falls in order to witness a magnificent light and water showcase. Every hour, on the hour for close to 20 minutes, the fountain's major water display is displayed alongside music and lighting effects.
- The Buckingham Fountain has a water capacity of 1.5 million gallons. Water is continually being re-circulated in order to conserve.
- The water display is powered by three separate pumps. The most powerful pump boasts 250 horsepower and can shoot 7,000 gallons of water per minute.
- There are 820 lights on the Buckingham Fountain and more than 134 water jets.
The Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park was registered as an official Chicago Landmark back in 2000. Today, millions of luxury car rental Chicago customers visit the fountain, and it's no wonder. The beautiful mix of water, music, light and art is truly spectacular, not to mention utterly unique. If you would like to visit the Buckingham Fountain during your upcoming luxury car rental Chicago vacation simply stop by Grant Park. The fountain is located at Columbus Drive and Congress Parkway inside the public space. The Buckingham Fountain is constantly under video surveillance and it is illegal to vandalize it in any manner. For more information on the Buckingham Fountain and other Grant Park attractions please visit www.chicagoparkdistrict.com.